Just as we are about to enter another year, it would be unfair to leave without giving the virus that caused trouble to the entire human race, a special mention.
- The entire world is currently facing a global pandemic due to coronavirus
- Despite the emergence of vaccines, it is necessary to take precautionary measures
- Here are some facts that you must know about coronavirus
New Delhi: It wouldn’t be incorrect to think of 2020 as a mad rollercoaster ride. If we try to put a finger on it, we could definitely count a lot of things that went wrong this year. However, one major positive consequence of a global pandemic was the rise in awareness about health and fitness during this period which was aided greatly by a lockdown. Most of us realised the importance of physical and mental health and after years of suggestions by medical professionals, some of us also started to admit that mental health and physical health are interrelated. Here are some facts about the novel coronavirus that brought humanity on its toes.
Facts about coronavirus
- Symptoms can be respiratory: Although fever and fatigue are among the most common symptoms, cough, laboured breathing are some symptoms too. If the situation aggravated, the affected can also suffer from renal failure, pneumonia and acute respiratory syndrome. This can lead to a patient’s death.
- People can be asymptomatic: A person doesn’t need to display symptoms after being contaminated. It was found that some people who tested positive for COVID-19 displayed negligible or no symptoms of the virus.
- Hot drinks don’t make people invincible: Myths about hot drinks being able to kill the virus has been around for quite some time. However, there is no evidence of this bring true. Therefore, drinking hot liquids does not make a person invincible.
- Loss of smell is a symptom: Anosmia is the term used to define the loss of smell. It is one of the possible symptoms of the virus along with loss of taste, also known as, ageusia.
- Heat does not kill the virus: No evidence has been found about heat killing the virus because the virus can survive in hot conditions that may be 25 degree Celsius or above.
- Wearing masks is not a joke: Doctors and medical professionals have been talking about the effectiveness of the masks since ages and they are absolutely right about it. Masks can reduce the risk of getting contaminated to great extents.
- Virus variant could be an issue: Ever since a variant of COVID-19 surfaced in the United Kingdom, the world has been bothered by other possible variants that can come up and further cause chaos.
- Seemingly clean surfaces may contain the virus: No surface is ever clean enough. Therefore, make sure that you double-check and disinfect it before you touch it. Avoid touching unknown surfaces with hands and try wearing gloves more often.
- Asymptomatic people can be contagious: Asymptomatic people may not exhibit any visible symptoms of the virus. However, they can infect other people just like any other symptomatic person.
- Both young and old people are vulnerable: Due to the variation in recovery rate, people may confuse the severity of the virus among young people. Old people may experience more gradual recovery than young people, however, young people are just as vulnerable as old people.