- Spain loosened outdoor mask requirements today for the first time in over a year.
- Brazil recorded 64,134 new coronavirus cases on Saturday and 1,593 new deaths. Overall the country has reported more than 18.3m cases and 512,735 deaths.
- Thailand has announced new restrictions around Bangkok as the country suffers its worst coronavirus outbreak. The new measures, to be in place for 30 days, include a ban on eating in at restaurants in the capital and five surrounding provinces.
- Former UK chancellor and home secretary Sajid Javid has been appointed health secretary following Matt Hancock’s resignation, Downing Street announced.
- The US has administered more than 322m vaccine doses, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) announced. So far, 178,873,816 people in the US have received at least one shot and 152,184,243 are fully vaccinated.
- UK health secretary Matt Hancock has resigned, saying the government “owe it to people who have sacrificed so much in this pandemic to be honest when we have let them down”. It came after he apologised for kissing his closest aide.
- An investigation is underway in Mallorca following a coronavirus outbreak involving over 600 students visiting from the Spanish mainland. At least 1,000 students have had to go into isolation.
- The UK recorded 18,270 new coronavirus infections – the highest daily rise since 5 February – and 23 deaths. Cases have been rising in Britain for the last month.
That’s it from me for this evening. Thank you for reading.